Thursday, January 29, 2015

libferris on osx

So libferris is now compiled and installed thanks to some of my handy work on Portfiles and macports doing the heavy lifting. I've put the Portfile into the distribution for many of the repositories; ferrisloki, ferrisstreams, stldb4, ferris, fampp2. And moved the source control over to the github -- https://github.com/monkeyiq/ferris

It's still a bit of a bumpy compile for ferris itself. Using clang instead of gcc, using the different stdc++ lib, the lack of some API calls on osx relative to Linux and the assumptions I'd made that IPC, advising the kernel on IO patterns, memory mapping and again advising on page patterns, would all be available APIs and contants. I have a patch from the compile which I need to feedback into the main libferris repo, making sure it still works fine on Linux too.

So now I can dig into xml files from the command line on osx too. I have to test out the more advanced stuff and the web services. The later use some of the 'Q' magic dust, qjson, qoauth, qtnetwork et al so they should be fairly robust after the port.

I should also update the primary file:// handler in libferris to use some of the osx apis for file monitoring etc to be a friendlier citizen on that platform. But going from no ferris on osx to some ferris is a great first move. A bundle would be the ultimate goal, /Applications/Ferris install in a single drag and drop.

No comments: